English as an Additional Language (EAL)
The English as an Additional Language (EAL) program at AOSR provides support for non-native English speakers. Language learning is a developmental process wherein students progress at their own unique pace. Students move through the stages of language acquisition and are supported throughout this process by EAL and classroom teachers.
At AOSR we aim to develop the language proficiency that students need to participate in diverse social and academic settings. We believe the languages, experiences, and cultures of all students are a valuable asset for our school community.
We hold our language learners to high expectations; in fact, they are often amongst our most successful IB and AP students!
Our successful EAL program provides:
- Highly qualified EAL teachers in Elementary, Middle, and High School
- Language instruction Support in the Content areas
- Small EAL classes and group instruction
- Language support to students within the classroom by EAL and classroom teachers
- Ongoing opportunities for meaningful interaction with peers
- Specific instructional and linguistic grade level support for each English Language Learner (ELL)
Our EAL Support Team consists of:
- Five highly qualified EAL faculty members working with students in grades 1-12
Coming to an international school for the first time and being a new student unable to communicate effectively in English with those around me was extremely scary and worrying for me. Fortunately, I received immense support from my EAL class at AOSR. The EAL teacher not only supported me and my equally struggling peers with homework from all the other classes, but also placed great emphasis on extra reading, speaking, writing, and listening. All this work helped me settle into the English-speaking environment and reach my goals and beyond. My advice to students who don't speak English is to trust the process. Although it can be tough and I felt quite disheartened at the beginning, know that if I made it this far to being able to write this paragraph, you can do it too!
-Meng Qi, EAL Student, Grade 12
CONTACT ADMISSIONS OR APPLY TODAY