After School Activities
2018-2019 Session II ASA Registration will be open from January 1st - 18th
High School students at The American Overseas School of Rome are able to participate in a wide range of activities in the areas of art, music and physical education. The sport teams compete against other international schools throughout the sport seasons.
The after school program is divided into two sessions, September to January and January to May, and runs from Monday to Friday, 3:30-5:00 pm. Bus services are provided.All activities are non-discriminatory, supplement the regular classroom instruction, and contribute to the academic, physical, and social development of students. All after school program activities are for both boys and girls.
The after school activities and athletics are intended to help students to become culturally aware and to help them foster concepts such as collaboration, cooperation, and team work. They also nurture interpersonal relationships and a feeling of community.
After School Activities and Athletics offered for High School students might include:
- Cooking with Chris - Encouraging food as a form of expression
It is an interactive cooking lesson designed to challenge both mind and body and push yourselves to the limit of your culinary experiences. We will be exploring the world of food and the culture behind it, learning to rely on our senses and experimenting with different techniques necessary in kitchens all over the globe.
- Artistic Gymnastics - This is a course which combines typical gymnastics practices with a variety of artistic expression. For a more detailed description, check out the artistic gymnastics section.These activities change each semester. The Artistic gymnastics program provides our kindergarten - 12th grade students the opportunity to train three times a week and participate in competitions at least twice throughout the year. The goal is to develop individual skill, fitness and a love of sport. Training is divided into three parts: warmup/stretching and fitness, gymnastics apparatus work and strength training. We have traditionally participated in a winter competition in Viterbo, in addition to the AOSR Gymnastics Cup, in the third week of May. The Cup is attended by almost 100 gymnasts from 6 different programs around Rome.
- Basketball-Students who participate in this activity will enjoy a non-competitive environment to practice and improve their skills such as dribbling, shooting, rebounding, passing, and overall offensive and defensive tactics used in the game.
- Swimming- AOSR is in it's first year of offering swimming to our Secondary student-athletes. Training occurs on Monday and Wednesday mornings at Pangaro Team pool, where our English speaking coaches focus on developing particular skills associated with Butterfly, Backstroke, Freestyle, and Breaststroke.Athletes will have the opportunity to participate in at least one competition throughout the year!
- Tai Chi and Yoga- Tai chi is a Chinese martial art, and yoga is a mental, spiritual and physical practice. Students will learn the basic skills and aspects of either sport, master the movements, and learn stress management practices.These activities change each semester.
- Volleyball- Training is differentiated to all levels of volleyball skills and experience. Our rookie secondary school student-athletes will develop basic skills and knowledge of the game, while our more experienced players focus on particular aspects of their game they want to take to the next level.Training prepares student-athletes to participate at the High School varsity level. The team plays a number of matches against local clubs and other international schools in Rome, gaining invaluable game time experience.