Program of Studies
At AOSR we recognize that Middle School students (grades 6, 7, and 8) are a special group of young adults with particular needs and perceptions. We provide our students with a diverse range of programs and activities that enable them to reach their potential as individuals and as valuable members of our school community.
Our goal is to create a community of learners where students can grow and strengthen skills, develop new interests, and feel like they are a part of a team.
Our classes operate on a schedule designed to maximize the study of core subjects - English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Physical Education, and World Languages - while allowing them to engage in electives such as Art, Technology, Drama, Concert Band, Choir, as well as academic support classes.
The Exploratory Cycle is comprised of a rotation schedule of Drama, Art, and Technology throughout the school year. Students also have the opportunity to take a full year Concert Band or Choir class. These choices give our students the chance to experience a range of dynamic offerings so that they are able to make informed decisions about electives when they become high school students.
The annual week long Cultural Trips, when students step off the AOSR campus and leave the classroom behind to fully experience another region, are a highlight for all, integrating experiential learning in the Middle School curriculum with the life experience of travel and the opportunity to bond with peers and teachers.
Support classes are offered for those students requiring additional assistance: Study Skills, Resource, English as an Additional Language (EAL), as well as Focused Academic Support classes for writing.
- The English program assists students -native and non-native English speakers - in developing coherence, clarity, precision, voice, structure and fluency in the exchange of ideas through oral and written communication.
- The Mathematics program is designed to: apply and adapt a variety of strategies to solve problems; use mathematical language to clearly communicate mathematical thinking; recognize, identify, and apply mathematics in situations outside of the classroom; impart the skills and knowledge necessary to pursue college preparatory mathematics at the high school level. In the eighth grade, the math selections include Pre-Algebra and Algebra.
- The Science program promotes integration and application of scientific principles and thinking in the daily lives of our students. AOSR students will be able to identify and solve real-world problems using a transdisciplinary approach, as they develop into globally aware and responsible citizens. Students will explore and understand their world through pattern-making, cause and effect, scale, proportion and quantity, systems, energy and matter, structure and function, stability and change. Students will investigate the interconnectedness of these concepts through disciplines including Earth, life, physical and environmental science.
- The Social Studies program places an emphasis on the appreciation of the past through the experimental approach, which includes taking advantage of the location of the school through field trips, art projects done in class (i.e. making Egyptian mummies, Greek pottery and Roman mosaics), oral reports, mind mapping and group work which helps them become integrated into the learning community.
- The World Language program gives students the opportunity to study up to two world languages. They are highly encouraged to take Italian language classes with the option to choose between Spanish and French, as well. The World Language program is distinctive and specialized at AOSR: our teachers understand that each student joins the AOSR multicultural community with varying levels of language due to their previous studies, host country or languages spoken at home. Therefore, each student’s written and verbal ability is evaluated individually so that students are enrolled in the appropriate level for their continued growth, regardless of the middle school grade they are in.